Get ready for adventure at Camp Shalom! Our amazing day camp for children entering 1st to 5th grade offers field games, swimming (includes American Red Cross Swim Lessons), arts & crafts, science/nature, Ropes Adventure Course, dance and much more!
Dates: Starts July 1, 2024
– August 16, 2024
Times: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
Location: Albany JCC
Registration begins on March 7th at 5:30pm at the Albany JCC!
2024 Camp Parent Handbook due by June 7th - click link
2024 Medical Form - click link
Theme Calendar for 2024 (click link)!
New for 2024 - 5th Grade Overnight in the Yurts!! - August 8th
For any inquiries about JCC Pre-School Summer offerings for ages 4-5, please call our JCC Early Childhood at 518-689-0039. Thank you!
Sample Schedule for Camp Shalom
|8:00 am - 8:45 am
|Drop off at Camp Shalom Door, Morning snack
|8:45 am - 9:00 am
|9:00 am - 9:45 am
|Period 1 (Swim/swim lessons, art, sports, nature, dance, ropes)
|9:45 am - 10:30 am
|Period 2 (Swim/swim lessons, art, sports, nature, dance, ropes)
|10:30 am - 11:15 am
|Period 3 (Swim/swim lessons, art, sports, nature, dance, ropes)
|11:15 am - 12:00 pm
|Period 4 (Swim/swim lessons, art, sports, nature, dance, ropes)
|12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
|Lunch under the pavillion
|1:00 pm - 1:45 pm
|Period 5 (Sports, ropes, art, nature, dance, counselor planned activity)
|1:45 pm - 2:30 pm
|Period 6 (Sports, ropes, art, nature, dance, counselor planned activity)
|2:30 pm - 3:00 pm
|Afternoon snack under the pavillion
|3:00 pm -3:45 pm
|Free choice sign up period - archery for 3rd grade and up offered
|3:45 pm - 4:30 pm
|Period 7 (Sports, ropes, art, nature, dance, counselor planned activity)
|4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
|Free play, clean up, dismissal
Camp Shalom Fees
Week 1 (July 1-3, 5) = $300 / $265 AJCC Members
Weeks 2-7 (July 8-August 16) = $365 / $330 AJCC Members
10% Sibling Discount, for 2nd, 3rd, 4th child, is for AJCC Members only
5th Grade Trip Fees for July 17th Trip to Six Flags New England = $75 per camper
Tuesday afternoon Tennis Clinic (45 mins) - $30 / $20 AJCC Members
One Time $10 Insurance Fee per camper
Camp Payment Terms and Conditions
Payment Terms and Conditions for Albany JCC Summer Camps:
- All Camp payments must be completed by June 28, 2024 with no outstanding balances when camp starts.
- Forms of payment accepted - Visa, MC, AMEX, or a Voided Check.
- Payment plans are selected on the bottom of page 1 of the registration form where the dates are listed. Page 2 of the registration must be completed by selecting the weeks requested. If registering online and want a different payment plan with dates prior to camp starting, please contacting the Camp Office.
- In order to receive the JCC Member rates for Summer Camp, the Family Membership or Single Parent Family Membership must be activated at the time of registration and continues through the end of the camper's enrollment.
- Albany JCC does accept DSS to subsidize payments for camp weeks. The difference between what the county covers and cost of camp is paid by the parent prior to the camp week.
- Each camper group/option has a capacity. We will begin waiting lists once spots are filled.
- There is a one-time $10 Insurance Fee per camper.
- We offer a 10% sibling discount for Camp Shalom, Teen Camp, and the Afternoon JCC Post Camp for AJCC Members only. We do not offer any discounts on Specialty Camps, Teen Camp Add Ons, trip fees, or the $10 one-time Insurance Fee per Camper.
- For any refund requests, these can be made by email to the Camp Office by June 7, 2024. Changes in weeks can be made via email as long as there is space in another week/option.
Camp Disciplinary Policy
THE DISCIPLINE OF A JCC CAMPER WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
MINOR OFFENSES: not listening to/disrespecting staff and/or children, first time using profanity, not following directions, disrespect of Albany JCC property or children’s/staff’s property or personal space.
FIRST infraction of a minor offense will result in a verbal warning from the Camp Staff.
SECOND infraction will result in verbal warning from the Director of Youth Services, or Assistant Youth Director, or Teen Camp Coordinator.
THIRD infraction will result in removal from activity and parent notification.
Parents will be notified regarding any of the three infractions listed above.
MAJOR OFFENSES: running away from JCC property, vandalism, fighting, bullying (including cyber), physically unsafe behaviors/assault toward other children or staff, possession and/or use of any weapons, possession and/or use of illegal substances, theft.
The occurrence of major offenses will result in dismissal from the Camp Program for that day, with 1 or more days of additional suspension from program.
When a child displays a pattern of consistent, inappropriate behavior (including both minor and major offenses), the Camp Staff reserves the right to evaluate whether the child can best be served by our program. A meeting with the Director of Youth Services, Assistant Youth Director, Teen Camp Director, parent(s) and child/teen (if needed) will be scheduled to review the status of the child/teen for the remainder of the summer season.
General Health Procedures:
- Children must be fever free (less than 100 degrees) and vomit/diarrhea free for 24 hours before they can return to camp. If your child becomes ill during the camp day (vomiting, diarrhea, fever, etc.), families will be contacted by phone for immediate pick up.
- If your child tests positive for Covid-19, please contact the Camp Office by email immediately. If your child is not vaccinated and been exposed to Covid-19, they will need to quarantine for 5 days and then wear a mask for an additional 5 days while at camp. Same applies to any child who tests positive regardless of vaccination status.
Covid 19 Vaccination Status:
- All of our JCC Camp staff are fully vaccinated for Covid 19. If your child/teen is fully vaccinated for Covid 19, please supply a picture via email of the Covid 19 vaccination card. This will reduce any quarantining that may occur within your camper’s group as long as they are not symptomatic.
- Any child with medications such as an Epi-Pen or Inhaler for example, must bring in the original box/bottle/container with the prescription label attached. In addition, parents will need to complete a NYS OCFS Individual Health Care Plan (signed by parent and JCC) as well as a NYS OCFS Medication Consent Form (signed by you and your child’s doctor) prior to the Albany JCC accepting the medication. All medications must not be expired. If your child has an allergy, there is a NYS OCFS Allergy/Anaphylaxis Plan form to be completed by parent, doctor, and JCC.
- Any item listed on the Medical Questionnaire on page 8 of this Parent Handbook, will require at least a NYS OCFS Individual Health Care Plan (signed by parent and JCC) to be completed prior to Camp. Please see above for other potential NYS forms that may be required.
Daily cleaning efforts: As part of our normal routine, there will be daily efforts made to disinfect the camp spaces, equipment, games, and high traffic areas, paying special attention to doorknobs, phones, tables, chairs, keyboards, handrails, gates etc. We will be disinfecting with an EPA approved cleaner as recommended by the CDC (not in the presence of children).
Drop off, Pick Up, Snacks, Meals and Additional Information
Camp Shalom/Teen Camp Program times are from 8:00am to 5:30pm daily.
Specialty Camp times vary depending on the option listed on the registration form or JCC website. Please refer to the registration form or our website – www.albanyjcc.org
Pick Up and Drop Off: To create a safe and manageable way for children to arrive and leave our program, we will be implementing the following protocol:
For all campers for all weeks of camp, please go to the Shalom Lobby entrance side by the South Main/Whitehall Rd entrance streetlight (says “Shalom” above the Door). Children will be received from their car. Families can pull up to the curb and remove their children from the car/car seats and a staff member will come out to greet them and assist them with transitioning to their group. Children and teens will be health screened (wellness checks) before entering the JCC. All campers will wash hands upon entry as well as before/after meals. We ask that all children and teens arrive each day by 8:45AM so that they can be escorted to their group and join their group for snack and planned activities. Some Teen Camp trips may require an early drop off. Details to follow.
For families that are walking to the center, a staff member will be at Shalom Door from 8am – 8:45am to receive your child. And then between 4:30pm-5:30pm to greet you at pick up. We also have a doorbell camera system at the Shalom Door. Parents are allowed to enter the JCC to pick up their camper.
Please ensure the pick-up list is complete with info requested. Please include parent info as well. At the end of the day, as you come to the building, please line up at the curb in your vehicle and use the doorbell camera system if a staff is not near the Shalom Door. The Member Desk Staff, at 518-438-6651, can reach us on Channel 3 on our walkies. We also encourage you to use the Remind text system (details to follow in June before camp starts) to text Drew, Miriam, and/or the Teen Camp Director. A staff member will escort your child to the car. You will be responsible for buckling your children into car seats once staff brings your child to you. Program ends at 5:30pm daily. A $1 per minute late fee will be assessed when late pick-ups occur.
Camp Shalom Facebook Group for Parents - https://www.facebook.com/groups/680913725794043
Personal Items from Home:
- We are asking that all of your child’s toys, games, etc. be left at home. Your child will need on a daily basis –nut free cold lunch, sneakers (especially for Sports and the Ropes Course), sunscreen, water bottle, ice pack in lunch bag, a change of clothes, a light jacket on cool days, hat, a bathing suit/towel, and Swim Vest/Float if needed for swimming. Please label your child’s belongings.
- Snack times will occur around 8:30am and 2:30pm daily. All snack items are Kosher, Nut Free, and follow the CACFP guidelines. There will be extra food available if the children want extra portions
- Any bottles/water bottles that are brought in for your child must be taken home daily for sanitizing. Please be sure that all are clearly labeled with your child’s name. Staff will assist campers when they are thirsty to chilled water in water jugs we provide for children. We are not able to refrigerate or heat up lunches. Please pack an ice pack in your camper’s lunch bag. We are also a Peanut Free and Nut Free environment.
If your child has a birthday during the summer, items may be brought in for your child’s camper group. Any food items have to be NUT FREE and KOSHER. Please contact the Camp Office prior to coordinate/inquire.